2/6/11

Sunday Morning Finds

I try to devote some of each Sunday to indulge myself in my geeky hobbies: browsing NPR, listening to TED Talks videos, developing curriculum, and blogging. This morning I came across two great finds: an article called Three Trends That Will Shape the Future of Education and this incredible TED Talks video that urges a shift in the way we educate students from test-driven, standardized education to a focus on learning, critical thinking, and life application. Though the speaker has some quirks that drove me batty (ending many of his statements with the ever-so-popular Really? turning declarative sentences into interrogative ones), he does make some great points. One of the quotes on his slide show presentation jumped out at me:

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn."
--Alvin Toffler


If you have some spare time today, check out at least one of the two links. They're worth your time.

No comments: