4/29/12

Run down

Today I am stuck at home in bed with a 101 degree fever and what is likely a sinus infection. What sucks is that I felt a cold coming on early this week, and I tried to take it easy--but my crazy schedule this week simply didn't allow me to take a break. On Wednesday after school I drove to Omaha for the NETA conference. I presented Thursday and then drove back to Ogallala (about a 5 hour drive) on Friday to make it back for Nate's last concert. Then after the concert, I drove to Kearney (2 hour drive), arriving a little after midnight, in order to set up for the NeWP youth writing festival we held yesterday. So I spent about 7 hours in the car on Friday....gah. I drove back home yesterday, ate a quick dinner with my husband, and then went to school to meet the English teacher who will be replacing me next year. I hobbled in the door last night a little after 9 feeling ragged.

It's been downhill ever since. I've been dizzy, shivering cold, clammy, with a pounding headache and completely plugged nose. Luckily the burning in my throat has ceased a little. I couldn't squeeze in my 8 mile run this weekend...it's the first run I've missed since starting my training over 12 weeks ago. The marathon is one week from today, so I need to kick this bug. I'm hoping to get in the doctor tomorrow to get a shot of antibiotics (despite my extreme fear of needles!). If you know me, you know I have a hard time taking a break. I still have lesson plans to write, a quiz to create, and papers to grade. So the fact that I'm in bed while my to-do list sits in the other room with nothing crossed off, kills me. If you have any suggestions for getting over this quickly---pass them my way. And if you're the praying kind, throw up a few for a quick recovery!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Oh no! Hope you kick it fast! And think on the bright side... of all the runs to miss, this measly 8 miler would be it, right? I mean, better than having never running a 20, right?

Get better!