3/5/11

Half-Marathon Training: Week 6

This will be our second year running the Lincoln Half Marathon, and this year my sister in-law, Amy, is joining us! We all started our running journey at about the same time--in the spring of 2008 all three of us, plus Nate's cousin Kecia, ran the Fun 5K at UNK. It was our first road race; I was pretty freaked out by the thought of running 3.1 miles.

Since then we've upped the stakes by running many 5k's, a few 10k's and the half last year. My goal is to run the Lincoln Half Marathon (May 1st), the Bolder-Boulder (10k on Memorial Day weekend), the Havelock Charity Run (10k in June) and the Bill Seymour Half Marathon in Grand Island (September). If you would've asked me five years ago if I'd be running this much, I would've laughed in your face. But...I can't help it...it's a sick addiction.

Today we logged 6.3 miles in 55:30. When we left, I dreaded the run and thought it was going to be miserable; but my NPR podcasts (Tom Waits: A Raspy Voice Heads to the Hall of Fame and Op-Ed: Rage Simmering Among American Teachers), my Garmin to help me keep a steady pace and the cloudy, 50 degree weather made the conditions perfect.

Training next week will be interesting--Nate has concerts on Monday and Tuesday night and I will be in Arkansas Thursday-Sunday....not an ideal schedule for half marathon training!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I haven't seen that picture for a long time! Wow! Sounds like your training is going well. It helps me to know that you two are doing the same training that I am doing. Keeps me honest! May 1st will be here before we know it!