10/8/10

Simple Banana Bread

I love bananas. I love eating them after running, I love eating them on tortillas spread with Nutella, and I love them in smoothies. But I never seem to eat them fast enough; I always end up with 2-3 over ripe bananas sitting on my counter. We had no school today due to parent-teacher conferences this week, so I decided to use some of my time to bake. I absolutely love cooking and baking but hardly ever make the time to do it. When I get time, I relish it! Today I used up those over ripe bananas to make a tasty batch of banana bread using this simple, nutritious recipe:

  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (I threw in about 1/4 c. flax seed with the flour for an extra boost of fiber!)
  • 1/2 cup splenda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 egg whites
  • 3-4 bananas (1 1/2 cups banana, mashed)
  • 1/3 cup applesauce (I cut up a small apple and pureed it to make my own applesauce)
  • 1/2 cup walnuts (cranberries or chocolate chips might also be tasty if you don't have walnuts)

No comments: