6/3/12

God is Able

Lately I've become overwhelmed with the amount of uncertainty in my life. We are shacking up with friends because we haven't had any leads on selling our home in Ogallala. We don't know how long we'll be here. Our family situation is uncertain--we are unsure if we'll ever grow our family through adoption. Though the list of uncertainties is short, it's a heavy one that often weighs me down. It's been building over the last week or so. Luckily I've kept busy enough that it hasn't had a chance to paralyze me with anxiety.

Today in church (we started the church shopping process today by attending a service at Christ Community with our new housemates) I felt like I sort of came to grips with these unknowns. During the worship set, we sang Hillsong's God is Able--and throughout the song I focused on the words and felt a sense of peace knowing that God IS able. He created the world, brought life to the dead (literally and figuratively), broke through sin and resurrected His Son---the Bible is filled with many passages that illustrate God's power. Is God able to sell my house, help me find a new one, and bless me with a child? Certainly. But just because He's able to do it, doesn't mean it's a guarantee that these things will happen. One of the awe inspiring qualities about God is that He surpasses all human knowledge. Here are a few verses I've been meditating on tonight:

"'My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,' says the Lord. 'And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine'" (Isaiah 55:8).

"Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infintely more than we might ask or think" (Ephesians 3:20).

While the selfish side of me wants God to bless me in my way and on my time, I take comfort in these two verses. He is a creative and intentional God. I can rest knowing that God is able to accomplish more than we could ever imagine.

No comments: