5/20/12

Remaining disciplined this summer

Tomorrow will be my last day working with FCA and this particular group of kids. It's been a huge step out of my comfort zone as I don't feel qualified to lead kids (or anyone!) in Bible studies. This year I've been humbled and have learned to rely on God to cover my sense of inadequacy and to speak through me to minister to kids. So I've been poring over scripture tonight trying to find the "right" piece to sum up the year and to encourage them to remain disciplined throughout the summer to continue to grow in their faith. I've felt led to share 2 Peter 1: 3-21 with the kids for the following reasons:
  • First: I love the reminder Peter gives us early in this---God's given us everything we need to live a life that is glorifying to Him and He's given us great and precious promises that allow us to share with God's divine nature---to commune and associate with the maker of the universe and escape the difficulties of this world caused by man.
  • Second: Considering all God has given us, we should "make every effort to respond to God's promises" by "supplementing our faith" with quality character, learning more about God, developing endurance, and loving others. It's easy in the summer to let our faith take a backseat to relaxing, hanging out with friends, and enjoying a break from structure. But Peter reminds us in vs. 5-7 that we must not grow complacent. We must work hard to supplement our faith because the more we grow, the more useful we can be for Christ. We must remember God's promises and sacrifices in order to avoid growing stagnant in our faith.
  • Finally: Verses 12-21 are a nice conclusion to the year. Sometimes I feel like we talk about the same things over and over again each week in FCA. But, just like athletes have to review fundamentals of their sport each day in practice, believers must have constant reminders of the basics/foundations of our faith so we can stand firm and share these with others. I love Peter's urging to pay close attention to scripture because "their words are like a lamp shining in a dark place." FCA doesn't meet in the summer, but that's no reason for our kids to not continue delving into the Word of God. Reading the Bible is a direct connection to God and is our guide for living. I hope these verses encourage our kids to continue studying the Bible and develop a good habit of reading it throughout the summer.
So that's that. My last FCA lesson of the year. My prayer is that this summer our kids would engage in the same discipline they do in athletics for their spiritual lives so they can grow in their faith and avoid complacency.

No comments: