2/13/12

My Obligatory Valentine's Day Post

I've been anti V-Day for quite some time. The color pink does nothing for me (though I'll love any child God brings us, I'm hoping for a boy simply to avoid all the pink baby garb). Candy hearts taste like chalk. Rhyming, syrupy, cliche love poems make me gag. It's all a big marketing scam. Call me crazy, but shouldn't people express their love every day? A few days ago while cleaning up the kitchen my husband brought up Valentine's Day and asked if I wanted to do anything. I gave him the, "are you crazy?" look and he chuckled. He knows me too well....

When we got home from a long day of school and parent teacher conferences, Nate surprised me with 12 chocolate covered strawberries in a box adorned with hearts. He told me he gave me 12 strawberries, one for every hour of the day that he loved me (what a comedian). While I'd prefer to not spend money for Valentine's Day, I gobbled up three of the massive berries tonight and felt pretty good about it because a) I love chocolate and 2) these were made by one of our students.... my disdain for Valentine's Day set aside....I appreciate the gesture.


3 comments:

Stu said...

I totally fail on Valentine's day. Luckily, my 7-year old son took up the slack and provided breakfast in bed for my wife this morning.

(I still couldn't stomach getting her flowers though...)

Bob Josjor said...

So which 12 hours is it? 'Cuz Shannon and I are wondering if you're asleep for some of them?

:)

Danielle said...

It must be for the 8 or 9 hours I'm sleeping....then I'd only have to be tolerable for a few hours :D