11/8/10

More adoption musings

It's official---we have our first intake interview scheduled for Wednesday at 9:00 AM. I am so excited for this next step I can hardly contain myself. But...I'm also growing anxious. I've spent the last hour reading blogs of people who have adopted and though I love reading their stories, it makes me so anxious. I'm nervous about the littlest things---what if I freeze up on the stupidest question (during my interview for my current job, my principal asked me to tell him a little about me, and I blanked out!)? What do I even wear to something like this (seems so shallow, but I want to make a good impression)? What kinds of questions will they ask? I just am so unfamiliar with all of this. I scoured the racks at Hastings Books and Music this weekend (the only major book store in the area) searching for books on adoption and found one book that was over 10 years old....there were loads of books on pregnancy, but one on adoption. I know many, many people who have had their own children naturally, but only know a few people who have adopted. Who do I even turn to when I have questions? I can't turn to my mom or my best friends for answers because they've never experienced this. Sometimes I just feel so alone and frustrated because of our "out of the norm" situation. When I think about, it's a little funny because if you know me well, you know that I spent most of my life trying to break free of conformity and what was considered normal, so I guess our "out of the norm" situation is a bit fitting. Nonetheless, today I feel overwhelmed, overjoyed, and a bit sad. What a mix of emotions, eh?

4 comments:

Amy said...

You guys will be GREAT! Just be yourselves and you will make a wonderful impression. You are both loving, caring, compassionate people, and that shows in what you say and do. Tomorrow will be great.

me said...

You don't need to turn to anyone but your husband and God. You are doing such a wonderful thing by giving a child a wonderful life of love and happiness. Without you, who knows. Without people like you, who knows what this world would be like. I don't want to know. We are so happy for you and so happy for your baby. With huge change will come anxiety, just close your eyes and smile :) You are an inspiration and an angel to your child.

Danielle said...

I don't know who posted that last comment, but thank you whoever it was. It reminds me that God has ordained a specific child for us...that is comforting.

The Roberts said...

I agree...you guys will do great!! you have lots of practice with kids and you do amazing all of ours in the community! Praying for you!