10/3/16

Favorite Things #4

It's been a while since my last favorite things post, but today is perfect for one because I'm hitting a serious case of writers block. My schedule at work has been nuts and our kids are having a tough time this semester, so when I get time to write, I'm usually zapped. But I like thinking about my favorite things and sharing them with y'all. So, here's what I got this month:

Favorite podcast: I tune in every Friday during my long runs for a new episode of The Sorta Awesome Show. The co-hosts have tackled everything from anxiety to homelessness to beauty products. I learn something new every episode, and I feel like I'm just eavesdropping on a really good conversation.

Favorite songs: "Emmylou" by First Aid Kit for its harmonies and sing-along quality,  "I Wish I Was" by The Avett Brothers because who doesn't enjoy a good love song?!?, and "Till St. Dymphna Kicks Us Out" by Omaha-native, Conor Oberst for its introspection and honest look at mental health issues. It's worth mentioning that Bon Iver has a new album out (after five years of not releasing a new record!). These are all great pieces to listen to while sipping on your favorite hot beverage, watching the leaves turn colors.

Favorite books: Technically these can't be considered favorites because I haven't read them  yet...but, these are on my to-read list: This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things (scheduled to arrive at my house TODAY! TODAY!!!), Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequest, and Between The World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates.

Favorite item of clothing: Anything from Wear Pact. The company sells eco-friendly clothing made with responsible labor practices. I splurged for my fall wardrobe capsule and ordered leggings, a short-sleeve shirt, a dress, and tights, and I love EVERY item. They are all made with organic cotton, which means they are SUPER soft. An added benefit is they only carry "staple" items in a few colors and patterns so people like me who are paralyzed by choice aren't overwhelmed. Shout out to my friend Cassidee from Foodeymoon for sharing this gem with me!

Favorite service: This fall has been incredibly nuts in our home. On top of that, my husband committed to a paleo diet this summer, which is AWESOME while at the same time forcing me to get creative in the kitchen. I've learned a lot in the last few months about the paleo eating plan and its benefits, but I found myself slipping into a rut where I cooked the same meals. If you know me, you know I value creativity, and I carry this into the meals I prepare for my family. This is where Prep Dish comes in handy.

For $14/month, I get a new meal plan sent to me each week. The plan comes with four main meals, a breakfast option, a salad recipe, a snack idea, and a dessert. On top of this, the plan contains a grocery list organized by section of the grocery store. Prep Dish offers gluten-free and paleo plans (though, some of the paleo meals haven't always been paleo, so I've had to be careful).There's a few things about Prep Dish I really love: It makes meal planning easy AND our family is trying new recipes I never would've thought to make. Side note: The ingredients are always accessible and coincide with traditionally seasonal produce.

That's all for now, friends. Leave me a note in the comments section to share what your favorite things are right now!

No comments: