1/3/10

Thoughts on "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years"

On our way home from our Christmas travels, Nate and I did some browsing through the mall in Kearney. The Waldenbooks there is going out of business (sad stuff!), so of course we both felt obligated to stop and check out the sales :) Turns out, I actually found a book I'd been wanting since its release in September: "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" by my favorite author, Donald Miller. Don (I call him by his first name because after reading his books, I feel like we are old friends) is an honest, simple, funny, and compelling writer. His book "Blue Like Jazz" changed the way I think about Christianity. In fact, (other than "Travels With Charley") it's the only book that I've read more than once! I even have the audio book...he's a fantastic writer. I recommend him to anyone...even non-readers. So I was ecstatic to find Don's new book. The next night, I brewed a pot of coffee, curled up on our loveseat, and read the entire book in about two hours. Typically I am a slow and meticulous reader, but this book consumed me and I could not put it down.

Yeseterday afternoon my mind wandered back to the book, so I decided to go back through it and examine the parts that I underlined. Soon I found myself sitting at our computer desk, explicating several excerpts of his book. So, I hope to create several posts that include a quote from his book and then my thoughts on that particular quote. I just think it's such a great book that deserves to be shared. Stay tuned!

P.S. If you get a chance, check out Don's blog.

No comments: